Thursday, October 28, 2010

Frozen in t"subtropical" Hong Kong

The weather in HK, as far as i have experienced it, seems a bit extreme for one having lived in California for 6 years. 

My first weeks here treated me to several nights of thunder and lightening the likes of which I hadn't heard before.  Thunder is always a bit loud, but this probably woke the dead.  I seriously wondered at one point if the sonic BOOM!!!!! would shatter my windows.  Kai, however, exhausted from jet lag, somehow managed to sleep right through it.

Days were intensely hot and humid.  This I had experienced before.  In Japan, the first couple weeks of summer were awful, but after I got used to the heat and humidity,  I was perfectly content.

But what drove me crazy about the heat and humidity in HK is that you CAN"T get used to it.  Every shop, train, bus, business, and school room has AC and that AC is cranked up so the inside temp is about 50 degrees while outside it is blistering.  So the 5 minutes you walk from place to place you are melting from the extreme heat.   and then  upon entrance to anyplace, you feel good for 10.5 seconds and then sweat freezes into icicles on your back and you are bone-chilling cold. 

I have been dying of the cold ever since I  arrived.  The chill difference between 90 and 50 was just shocking for me and I hated it.

The past couple of days HK plunged from 80 degrees to about 50 degrees.  I figured the AC would turn off and everyone would proceed as usual. 

But no, these folks, happily wearing t-shirts and short skirts in 50 degree classrooms now don boots, jackets, and winter scarves as if they were preparing for a blizzard. 

As if 50 degrees one week ago was cool and comfy but ridiculously cold now. 

Although, I have to admit, last week when I was freezing, all I had to do was step outside and warm up.  Today, I'm cold and there is no place to go to warm up, so I just keep feeling cold. 

But I couldn't believe how everyone was dressed.  I would like a sweater or a windbreaker.  but is the heavy jacket, winter scarf, and boots really necessary?

What on earth would they do if they relocated to New England? 

No comments:

Post a Comment