I used to really dislike Father's Day. In fact, for the better part of the past 15 years, FD has passed right by me and I didn't even know it until July rolled around and I was vaguely aware I missed it along the way.
This is because for the better part of the past 15 years, i haven't had a TV and missed all the adverts. or the adverts were in a language I didn't understand.
As a kid, I used to dread Father's Day, because the teachers at school would make me write a card or some crappy thing addressed to my father. Even before he died, I used to say he was dead so I wouldn't have to do it. It's not that I'm angry or bitter or anything like that. Not that I ever wished him dead or had a grudge against him personally.
I hated Father's Day because i was supposed to think of something to write (for a graded assignment) that sung the praises of someone I barely knew, and the few memories I had were not exactly appropriate to put on a greeting card.
Would Hallmark have had a card that said:
"Happy Father's Day, Dad! I'll never forget when I was five how you stole all the money and food in the house and left me alone for a weekend while you went on a drug/drinking binge! I watched so many Woody Woodpecker cartoons...it was awesome Dad! You're the best!"
or how about, "Happy Father's Day! you were so right about many things, like how I was going to become fat, so i needed to go on a diet. You were so helpful when you tried to hyponitize me to sleep for days on end so you didn't have to feed me so I could loose weight! it was a great idea, Dad! Your parenting skills are second to none!"
Again, totally not bitter. I could have been bitter, I suppose. i just never wasted much time thinking about him, and when i did think of him, it was more like " I wonder if he's dead yet?" Not because I wanted him dead, I assure you, but i was one of those kids very aware that people died, and being a kid, thought basically anyone older than a teenager was graveyard material.
No, he was who he was and I didn't dislike him at all until I had my own child and really understood the weight of being a parent, and the actual gravity of the crap he pulled.
But this year, because of Facebook, I realized (OK, a day late) that it's Father's Day again.
So for those of you who have or are fathers, Happy Father's Day! May you always be worthy of your child's love and admiration.
No comments:
Post a Comment