Wednesday, March 28, 2012

We Must Rock You

I have always enjoyed taking well loved songs and changing the lyrics. (No one can forget my teenage tribute to Paul Simon with "The Sound of Toilets")

Imagine my surprise and joy to find my son also finds this a fun and entertaining thing to do, and we have made up our own lyrics for several songs. 

For example, the other day, Kai decided he didn't like the lyrics to the second verse of "You are my Sunshine" because they are too sad.  So he made up his own song that was much happier:

The other night, dear,
As i lay sleeping,
I dreamed I held you in my arms.
And when i woke, dear,
it was true
So I laughed and snuggled and smiled.

Kai has been writing an "Ode to Kiara" with piano accompaniment for a few months(this sounds much fancier than saying he's been banging on piano keys in a slightly musical way while singing "Kiara").

While the ending to this Ode is still percolating, he came up with an ingenious tribute to Queen with lyrics he and I came up with together. we've been singing this song for a while now. the second verse I came up with myself, but Kai and i came up with the first verse 50/50.

So, all due apologies to Queen, here's the Kuwata top 10 hit: We Will Rock You/We are the Parents:

Baby you're a girl
With a big curl
sucking on your thumb
gunna be a wo-man some day
you've got milk on your face
you big disgrace
kicking your poo all over the place
Singing: we must, we must rock you!
We must we must rock you!
We must we must rock you!

We've changed your diapers
Time after time
We're doing a sentence
But have committed no crime
And some mistakes
We've made a few
We've had our share of milk squirted in our face
But we've come through!
We are the parents my friends
And we'll never sleep right again
we are the parents
we are the parents
no time for hobbies
'cause we are the parents
of 2 kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment