We went to Macau this weekend. Macau is just a ferry hop skip and jump away from HK. And boy can those ferries hop!
I expected Macau to be somewhat like Hong Kong in that it was also a foreign post for East-West trade between mostly closed China and the Europeans, was owned and operated by said European colonialists, and eventually returned to China when they had no better excuse to keep it, as an SAR.
Macua is equally proud of their Chinese and Portuguese roots. Their cultural sites include ancient Chinese statues and buildings, juxtaposed among old Portuguese sites. One of the only standing temples to a local Macau god is cared for by Jesuit priests, and you can worship local gods or christianity there harmoniously.
It was the harmonious blending of Chinese and Portuguese that struck me most. Portuguese and Chinese are blended into the food, language, buildings, daces, music, everything. Macua is neither Chinese nor is it Portuguesse. It reminds me of Kai, who doesnt look Japanese or Caucasian , but has his own look, and his own way of doing things, and is equally confortable with his Japanese and American heritage.
of course, in the casinos, this was not evident. but the casinos lent an interesting twist to my view of Macau. Step inside, and you enter a bizzarre world where you can live in a casino for 10 years and never have to leave and there will still be places you haven't been. Casinos the size of small cities, almost completely self reliant, with their own shops, restaurants, and entertainment venues. It took us hours to get through just one of the casinos---- and because of Kai, we couldn't even go into the gambling part!!!! It even had an entire recreation of Venice, complete with an indoor canal with gondolas with singing gondoliers!!! Oh, and a fake blue "sky" overhead with clouds Mabo swore were moving.
I can't imagine how people ever find their way out. I guess if you are broke and can't pay the bills, the security will help you to the door!
Kai and mabo went two days ahead of me to see the macau Grand Prix races. they had such a good time, kai kept saying over and over I LOVE macau! I LOVE macau! I want to live there! I guess he thinks the Grand Prix goes on every day there. I'm sure the locals are glad it doesn't!
No comments:
Post a Comment