I have a friend I've known for a long time. I chatted with her by Facebook this morning.
She has a theory: everyone in life is either Ernie or Bert. Ernies need Berts and Berts need Ernies. Two Ernies can be friends but not two Berts. I declared that my husband and I are two Berts (this may explain alot about our marriage).
She stated I couldn't possibly be a Bert. she pointed out some Ernie things i had told her about. For example, a fantastic and hilaious telephone conversation I had with a bored IRS tax guy on a Friday night (who else but a Bert woudl call the IRS on a Friday night? Even the IRS guy was making fun of me for having no life....But then, only an Ernie would have tons of fun talking to an IRS guy).
I remembered I was teaching Kai to catch fish by calling "HEEEEEERRRRRE Fishy Fishy Fishy!" and we used to have dozens of rubber duckies in our bathtub in Fairfax. Kai and I (OK lets be honest...I...) love them.
I postulated that perhaps i was a 1/2 Ernie: the Berts in life, like my husband, bring out the Bert in me while the Ernies bring out the Ernie in me.
We contemplated what color that would make me. she suggested Oopma Looma but i prefered tangerine, because I am truly more yellow than Oompa Loompa. She perceives me as being far more Ernie than I see myself.
She suggested I shoudl find some Ernies to be friends with, because too much of Bert isn't a good thing for me.
And that is why we have been friends for over a decade.
Does anyone else out there buy into the Ernie and bert theory? what are you?
I wish I coudl make a Johari Ernie and Bert Window for myself. What percentage of me is Ernie and what percent Bert?
no comments? everyone must just think you're crazy. or i'm crazy. you are definitely ernie.
ReplyDelete